Boise Guardianship Attorney
What Are Guardianships and Conservatorships Under Idaho Law?
Who Can Petition to be a Guardian or Conservator of a Child in Boise, Idaho?
In order to be eligible for guardianship, there are a few requirements that must be met:
- The guardian must not be the biological or adoptive parents of the child
- The guardian must not have any convictions for child abuse
- The guardian must not have any child protection orders filed against their name
- The guardian must have a genuine interest in the welfare and wellbeing of the child or children in question
- The biological parents of the child have abused, neglected, or abandoned the child in question.
- The child is currently residing in a home that is unsafe or unstable
- The potential guardian is in a position to adequately care for the child – this must include having adequate financial support, as well as a stable home, and the time and energy to dedicate to the child’s welfare and wellbeing.
- Any other factors that are deemed to be relevant
How to Apply For Guardianship of a Child in Boise and Meridian
Applying for guardianship of a child can be a complex process. If you believe that you should have guardianship, then the best thing you can do is seek a consultation with a family law firm that can advise you on your next steps.
Proving Guardianship is Necessary
If you are applying for guardianship of a child with the court, you will need to prove that:
- The home where the child is currently residing is unstable or unsafe.
- The potential guardian is able to adequately care for the child and has a stable home, finances, and the time and energy to dedicate to the child’s wellbeing.
- The biological parents have neglected, abused, or abandoned the child, or they are deceased.
- Any other relevant factors.
- A potential guardian will need to complete an online course developed by the Idaho Supreme Court Guardianship/Conservatorship Committee. This course provides information about the role and the responsibilities that come with it.
How our Guardianship Attorneys in Boise, Idaho Can Help
What to Look for in a Boise Guardianship Attorney
Many family law firms offer a consultation, which is a good opportunity for you to ask some questions and decide if they are the right fit for your case. Some factors to look for include:
- Respective State Bar Association – State Bar Associations are in place to ensure high standards
of legal practice and to hold lawyers accountable if they deviate from these standards. It is a good idea to
check that your attorney is associated with a state bar and that they are not under disciplinary action.
- Experience – In your initial consultation, you can ask a potential attorney if they have
experience navigating cases that are similar to yours. An experienced attorney should be able to show you
testimonials from previous clients who were dealing with similar struggles.
- Awards – If a law firm has been given awards, then this is a sign of quality.
- Independent Reviews – AVVO is an independent review site that rates lawyers based on years of
service, awards, client reviews, and more.
Contact an Experienced Boise Guardianship Attorney Today
If you are seeking guardianship, then contact Idaho Divorce Law Firm for a consultation today. We have won favorable outcomes for a long list of happy clients, which is why we have been voted one of the best divorce law firms in Boise, Nampa, and Meridian by expertise.com. For more information on the guardianship process and how our dedicated Meridian or Boise, ID family law attorneys can help, contact us today for a consultation at (208) 314-3302.